After having FEDORA (or any Linux) installed successfully on your PC, you can now install NS2. You need to download the copy of NS2 first, which is available at the below site
It is better to download the compressed allinone file as it contains all the files neccessary to install NS2.
I am providing the link to download the recent version of ns-allinone package-ns-2.33 here:
The file size is around 52.8 MB.
After downloading, follow the below steps
1. Copy the file to the directory you wish to install NS2(I have copied it to my home directory)
2. Open the terminal (which can be found at Applications->System Tools->Terminal in FEDORA)
3. Go to the directory where you have copied the ns-allinone compressed file (using cd command)
I have copied the file in my home directory
Now we need to extract the ns-allinone archive which can be done by using the below command
tar xzvf ns-allinone-2.33.tar.gz
Note:For more information on using tar command type man tar on your terminal
4. Go to the extracted directory
5. Now type the below command
After you type Return (Enter) key the installation starts and will take some time
6. After installation you need to set-up the neccessary environment variables which can be done by using the export command or by editing the .bashrc file(which is the better option as these values remain permanently)
7. To set the environment variables go to your home directory (my home directory is /home/chandra)
and edit the .bashrc file
Now in the text window you need to type the following
HOME= $ HOME:/home/chandra/
PATH = $ PATH: $ HOME/ns-allinone-2.33/bin:
LD_LIBRARY_PATH = $ LD_LIBRARY_PATH:$ HOME/ns-allinone-2.33/otcl-1.13:
TCL_LIBRARY=$ TCL_LIBRARY:$ HOME/ns-allinone-2.33/tcl8.4.18/library:
In my system I have copied the file in my home directory(/home/chandra), you need to specify your home directory path in the HOME variable.
8. Save the file
9. Go to the ns-2.31 directory
and type the below command
after you type Return(Enter) key the validation takes place. It will consume some time.
10. In order to verify whether NS2 is successfully installed or not type
after typing ns if you get % prompt then ns is successfully installed.
If you are trying to install NS2 under Windows, visit the below link
Hope it helped you...........
Good Luck :)